· 2 cups (360g) canned or 5-hour soaked chickpeas
· 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
· 100g couscous
· 1/2 cup (70g) frozen peas
· 5 garlic cloves
· handful (40g) kale leaves
· 1 cup (30g) flat-leaf parsley leaves
· 1/2 cup (15g) fresh coriander leaves
· 1 teaspoon ground cumin
· 1 teaspoon ground coriander
· 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
· 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
· 4 tablespoons buckwheat flour
1. Preheat oven to 190c
2. Rinse and drain the canned chickpeas. If using dried chickpeas, soak in hot water for 5 hours. Drain water and use.
3. Place chickpeas in the bowl of a food processor. Add all the other ingredients for the falafel other than the baking powder and flour. Process to a semi-coarse paste.
4. Place processed falafel mix in a large bowl. Add baking powder and flour. Mix well.
5. Using your palms, shape the falafel mixture into 20 golf-ball sized rounds – around 60g each
6. Line a baking tray with foil and lightly oil, place on the falafel and roll in the oil, cook for around 15minutes on one side, then turn gentle so that they can cook on the other side for 15mins or until golden brown.
NB: The falafel mix can be made 24 hours in advance. If pre-making the mix to cook later, add the baking powder and flour only when you are ready to cook.
Buckwheat flour can be subbed with plain flour.
Serve falafels on a bed of raw broccoli tabouli with a generous dollop of the spinach pesto, lime wedges and chili. Alternatively, stuff falafels, tabouli and spinach pesto in a small pita bread and enjoy.
Raw Broccoli Tabouli Ingredients:
· 300g raw broccoli (1 broccoli head + stalk)
· 1 large bunch (100g) flat leaf parsley, chopped
· 1 large bunch (100g) fresh mint leaves, chopped
· 1/2 cup cooked black quinoa
· 2 large tomatoes, deseeded and diced
· 1 cucumber, deseeded and diced
· juice of 2 small lemons
· handful of pepitas
· seeds from 1 pomegranate
· 3 tablespoons olive oil
· salt + black pepper to taste
Raw Broccoli Tabouli Instructions:
1. Process whole broccoli (head and stalk) to coarse crumbs in a food processor. Add herbs and process for a few seconds until chopped fine. Place in a large bowl.
2. Add all other ingredients to the broccoli.
3. Mix well until thoroughly combined.
Spinach Pesto Ingredients:
· 250g Spinach
· 50g pumpkin seeds
· grated zest and juice of 1lime
· 1 garlic clove
· handful of mint leaves
· 125g greek or natural yogurt – can be coconut yoghurt if lactose intolerant
· 1tbsp olive oil
Spinach Pesto Instructions:
1. Place all the ingredients except the yogurt in the food processor, blitz until smooth.
2. Add the yoghurt and blitz until combined. Keep in the fridge until you need it.
Pickled Red Cabbage Ingredients:
· 50ml apple cider vinegar
· juice of 2 limes
· 1 garlic clove – crushed
· 1 red chilli – finely chopped
· 2tbsp honey
· ¼ head of red cabbage
Pickled Red Cabbage Instructions:
1. Chop the red cabbage in the long shreds, mix all the other ingredients together add the cabbage and toss to coat.
2. Cover and chill for at least an hour. This will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks